Few phrases can strike as much fear into a homeowner's heart as the words, "You have a mold problem." Mold occurs everywhere in nature, but inside a home, it can damage any surface it grows on and cause breathing problems for people who live there. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says mold reactions range from mild (stuffy nose, itchy eyes, skin irritation) to severe (fever, shortness of breath, chronic lung ailments.)
Studies also suggest a link between mold exposure and the development of asthma in young children. So what causes mold to take root in a house?
In a word: moisture
Mold spores are everywhere, and when they land on a wet or damp surface, they can begin to grow. Mold tends to grow in areas that are humid, such as the bathroom, a below-grade room, Crawl space, the kitchen or garage. Mold can also grow in hidden places, such as between walls where a water leak has occurred and gone undetected for some time.
"The key to mold control is moisture control," the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says on its website.
The EPA says people should clean up mold right away and eliminate the source of moisture that allowed the mold to grow.
Dry air (moisture content at or below 40%) and ventilation can help combat mold problems in homes.
Reducing moisture below 40% will create conditions where mold cannot flourish.
An EZ Breathe system will do both. Remove the moisture laden air, along with radon gas, reduce humidity and eliminate stale air. When combined with encapsulation and Energy Star-qualified foam insulation, excess moisture and unhealthy radon gas, pollens and mold become a thing of the past. EZ Breathe does not return the sick air back into your home, it exhaust all of it to the outside of the home, gone forever. No pipes, no pumps, no filters, 10 year warranty and completely automatic. Plus it only cost $2-$4 per month to operate.
If you discover mold in your home, it's important to remove it quickly — even if it just seems like a harmless amount growing in a corner of the crawl space. Mold can spread quickly. People can probably handle a minor problem themselves, using commercially available cleansers to remove the mold from affected surfaces. Remember mold will return if the moisture remains. More severe infestations that affect drywall, wood or other parts of the home's structure will likely need to be handled by a professional mold removal company.
If mold has damaged parts of a home, those parts should be removed and replaced. The CDC recommends homeowners take steps to prevent future mold growth. Moisture equals mold!!
Mold will never be anyone's idea of a welcome house guest, but with preventive steps such as moisture control, people can ensure they never again have to fear those three little words: "You have mold."
8520 Allison Pointe Blvd #245 Indianapolis 46250 IN